Head of Product Design (Director/Sr. Director)
ELSA is the smartest Speech AI, backed by Google, on a mission to enable 1.5 billion language learners around the globe to speak English with full confidence and unlock their opportunities in life. We are looking for an experienced product design director to head all of product design, reporting to the VP of Product. You will be leading the charge on reimagining our mobile application, as well as bringing brand new products to life.
What you’ll do?
• Directly hire and manage multiple designers (managers and ICs), user researchers and copy writers, supporting them as they drive their personal and professional growth to build a world-class product design team.
• Works closely with senior leadership to create strategic visions for the product and then deliver on those visions
• Influences and interprets the product vision to drive strategic execution of design through their team
• Works with the designers and user researchers to ensure we have a deep understanding of user needs and that their design solutions fit into a consistent product experience
• Actively participates in key initiatives to help shape and guide solutions
• Challenges status quo on creativity and quality of design work across their team
• You are willing to get hands-on, partnering closely with other designers, user researchers and/or engineering teams.
• Work closely with Product and Insights to formulate clear design hypotheses & construct tests
• Promotes team’s design work to drive alignment across the other teams
• Proactively looks for and solves high-level issues and opportunities
Who you are?
• You have 5+ years of design management experience, specifically experience managing managers, in an agile product development environment
• You are comfortable working closely with product managers, engineering leads, user research teams, copy writers and data scientists to ship products
• You are an inspirational leader. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years (B2B is a plus), and understand what it takes to build awesome product experiences.
• You have a keen eye for detail and can give effective direction and feedback to designers on the team
• You have great communication skills, both written and verbal
• You have a people-focused design mentality and want to design and build products/features that truly have a meaningful impact.
• You have a portfolio that you can share with us. A link to your portfolio is required.
Where you'll be
• We are a distributed workforce with offices in Silicon Valley, Portugal and Vietnam.
• Where in the world? For this role, we are looking for someone in Asia, which can overlap time with our global teams.
• This is a remote role, with opportunities to travel.
Salary & Benefit:
- Competitive compensation, ELSA Speak Pro Account
- Fun energetic team; international & collaborative culture
- Opportunities to grow professionally and play a critical role to shape the next stage of the company’s growth
- Experience the true spirit of a fast growing and well funded Silicon Valley startup
ELSA is a San Francisco-based startup founded in 2015. It debuted at SXSW in March 2016, where it won the SXSWedu launch competition. ELSA is an A.I.-assisted language learning platform that teaches people how to speak English. We now have 22 million users from 101 countries. In Feb 2019, Gradient Ventures - Google’s AI fund became Elsa’s strategic investor in Series A funding.
Vietnam is a key market with more than 5 million users and will continue growing exponentially.
We have built out our track records with high calibre teams:
- “The Best Digital Learning App” at Reimagine Education 2016
- The 2016 winner of the world’s largest startup competition SXSWEdu Launch
- Recently invested by Google AI’s fund
- Recognized as Top 5 Best Artificial Intelligence Apps (by Research Sniper)
- Companies Using AI To Transform The World (by Forbes).
- Top 10 apps by consumer spending in Vietnam in 2020
Join Elsa to grow globally, and work with an A Team to transform the world.